Tuesday 4 June 2024

2024 May summary, mostly repairs and rejigs.



At the start of the month, I was fitting. Working out how much to compensate for the waistband stretch on ponte pants. Also did another round of drape/pin/stitch/adjust on a defunct plaid shirt of DH's. This time I concentrated on underbust to hip, and have a better contour map to feed into my eventual (cough cough) well-fitting shell. The grand plan is to blend with a better shoulder area/upper back/armscye/sleeve cap, but for now I'll settle for a better waistband and yoke. 

Me-Made-May? Well, I told myself I'd skip this year, and just do a grand try-on instead. Unfortunately, my posture has deteriorated. Upper back is even wider and rounder, pelvis more tilted. A large bag of jackets and formal wear left the flat, including some favourites (sad). But I did find ways to rescue several of my me-mades and charity shop finds from the outbox. 
Firstly, another alteration round with two recent makes, where I hadn't compensated enough for the stretch fabric. 
Plum skirt, take in another inch. 
Ponte pants - split back darts into three  (1" taken in). Take 1/4" off all side seams, making another inch from waist. Hooray, they stay up well now. 

And then rejig older garments which I want to keep
Duck tee v1 and pale tan Freya v1 - fix tight front armscye by adding a back armscye dart and compensating with bust dart. Bonus - they don't roll to back so much, so necklines fit better. 
Add extra elastic on grey summer joggers.
Moved the zip across 1/2" on the camo trousers
Red plaid pj trousers, add 5" to elastic. No wonder they were uncomfy (I'm smallest at empire line so tight elastic creeps upwards) 
Bias cut sleeveless blue flowered dress - added dart to front and back below scye. No longer cuts into armpit. 
Paisley cycle shorts, restitched popped seam. Stole a little from seam allowance at tum and spine to give more ease at that height. 
Additional button hole made on white floral shirt, it's now suitable for the office

Has this worked? Yes, the rejigged trousers and tees are chosen again straight off the clean washing pile. Though it hasn't been warm enough yet to test the lighter clothes. 

Wardrobe: This year's sifts have left me short of summer office wear and of tidy everyday cardis. Which told me to reschedule... 

Sewing: A quick rectangle skirt from some gifted mustard brocade (Two seams to shape the waist elastic). It's passed its test wear round the flat, but awaits temperatures over 20° before it gets a full-day test. 

I finally checked sleeve and neckline pattern and cut out my chicken print fabric. 

Knitting:
Community Arts poppies, two last petals to go, and that's the last of my suitable yarn. 
Community Arts granny squares. Done but not delivered. 
Reduced band on red tam, started reknitting sides and crown. 

Household: . 
Tighten bolts on remaining living room furniture. 
Hanging loops on remaining bathroom towels 

And candidates for next month? 
Finish reknitting cherry scrappy tam, and the last poppy. Extend cherry legwarmers if I can. Then back to baby hats. 
Sew up the chicken print top, test the mustard skirt, and carry on with the fitting project. Surely it will feel warmer soon! 

    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment