Sunday 1 May 2022

Me Made May 2022

 As proposed and explained at http://sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com/2022/03/me-made-may-22.html, the Me Made May challenge is very flexible, and each participant can decide their own aims.

This will be my third May attempting the challenge. My aim (not as formal as a pledge) is 

to bring out appropriate items for my May activities, prioritising Me-Made or significantly refitted, and assess them after a full day's wear.  

  • Is it still suitable for me? 
  • Is there an easy fix? (Adjust hems, add or remove waistband tucks, replace buttons, trim hanging threads are the usual suspects.)
  • If I'm reluctant to part with something on its last legs, what aspect would I note? (Some quality of the fabric, scale of print, ease of movement etc). Is some part of it refashionable?
  • If I dislike something, but wear it anyway, is it donatable? What would I like to replace it with? (Usually something similar that fits better or isn't worn out yet.)

I don't intend to keep strictly to May - I've already overlapped  into April, and may run into June. And I don't intend to post the gory details, though I plan to take or dig out archive pictures for my own use. 

At the end of the month, I hope the process will help me set priorities for the next tranche of makes. 

The quick try on test, April 2022, already shows I have loads of scruffy clothes, some very formal outfits, but not much left that is up to meeting standard. What I need is sturdy layers for walking on paths not pavements, comfy but tidy layers for tai chi, sturdy footwear and tidy clothing to wear into town, one or two respectable outfits for the odd day's voluntary or paid work. A few accessories to dress up the respectable stuff.  Easy-to-pack clothing for duties and for pleasure has been a theme in the past - and would be a bonus even in these strange times, for laundry and for drawer space.

Looking back on last year's assessment, I still haven't plucked up courage to get rid of many tired but comfy items. Some of the 'make more like this' garments have had the patterns refined, but not yet in better fabrics. 

Am I alone in this hanging on to old favourites?

No comments:

Post a Comment