Saturday 2 July 2022

2022 June - better fitting tops, mostly

Two of the three fabric remnants bought in May have been made up in June (just need to add buttons to one of them) And I've mashed up an oddment with a badly fitting rtw tee to make a really comfy PJ top.

A cream duck-print jersey tee, another Freya version. It's about as close a fit as I'm going to get without sacrificing ease of movement. Next version, I might tweak the neckline - to be lower and wider than the planned cardis - and, whilst I like the look of the shorter length, this one is going to be too draughty for the winter. Having said that, I like the colour and the feel of it, and I've worn it lots already.

The trial plum/grey PJ top was made from a soft knit fabric leftover from a top that didn't suit me.  Improved the fit (refined the pattern from the sage green top made last month)  I do like this version, with contrast sleeves and a patch pocket to tie the two fabric areas together. It's been worn lots already. 

A long standing UFO - a temporary cover for an office chair has been finished. This was 'almost there' when works on the flat started and everything was bundled into cupboards. Not all my stuff has been retrieved and filed sensibly yet, but I'm getting there.

The horseshoe scarf was 'finished', but then I decided it wasn't good enough either at its tails or at the outer edge. So I'm restarting it, mostly adding more ease to the outer edge.

Stripes and blocks French Terry cardi.  I took ages with the layout and working out how to support a front fastening in this very soft fabric. The answer - a secret band of duck fabric on the inside. I'm pleased with how it's turned out. Just needed to sew the buttons on and give it a test wear - but I'm going to count it as a June finish.

Me Made May running into June. In the North of England our daytime temperatures are not often reaching 20 degrees - which is OK by me. But it has meant that only some of the hot weather clothing has been worn for a full day. No surprises - though doing the Me Made May test did get me to revisit a failed dress from last year. 




Repairs and alterations 

The blue Island print dress was revisited, and the back neckline tightened up. That fixed the backward slide that affects many of my existing garments. This fixed the uneven waistline and the uncomfortable armscye.  I also revisited the skirt length, and took a 3/4" tuck to improve the proportions.

 As part of the Me Made May review,  I'm still trying to deal with the armpit wedgie. For example  have let out the two white jersey tees to their limits

Some of DH's trousers have a metal popper, and while not defective, he feels insecure. 
So I've added a button and buttonhole (Hand stitched as the machine isn't co-operating with this thick fabric. )

The blue M&S canvas trousers don't have a high enough rise for my posture/bone structure. So I've added 1/2“ with some seam binding at cf between waistband and zip. That mostly relieves the pressure.

Replaced binding on the rtw money/passport belt (from fair trade shop). It's at least 30 years old and well patched, but a secure fit and barely noticeable under clothing, so I'll use it should I ever go abroad again.

The me-made money belt has found a surprising use. My phone fits in it, but not in my trouser pocket. Perfect for a community outdoor activity where bags are left centrally. I replaced the perished elastic - a knot took up the slack the first day. If I ever make another, a train ticket pocket would be nice. 

Woodland print tee, charity shop find, was actually big enough at high hip, but too large at neckline and shoulders. Now better, but still not as good as Me-Made. 

Remaining UFO's  in the queue

  • The horseshoe scarf - surely it won't take long to reknit, now that I've had so much 'practice'.
  •  Talvi jumper (sweater) though I'm unhappy with the tension with this yarn, and may start again.
  • The bag from last year's sewing course.

Then I get to decide my priorities for Q3 :)


 


No comments:

Post a Comment