Sunday 27 November 2022

Red and yellow barbers pole hat and mitts

As a change from stripes to use up leftovers, I'd wanted to try a barbers pole stripe. 
Specifically, to get the stripe running at an angle, rather than straight across. 

Together with the red main yarn, I wound up 'bobbins', one red and two yellow on the circular knitting machine (a 22 peg) 
A couple of unexpecteds:
The first attempt in three colours was pulled back to the ribbing because the pitch of the stripes looked off - neither tilted nor left alone. Four bobbins was better, and I expect six would be better again. 
I'd imagined that the pitch would look steeper on the narrower mitts, however it's not obviously so.
Although I'd checked tension (gauge) before doing the mitts, and reduced the stitches to get the width right, they seem awfully big for 3-6 months

I was pleased with the reduced jogging on the hat, by slipping a triplet of stitches when changing yarns. Not so easy to get into a rhythm on the narrow mitts.


No comments:

Post a Comment