Sunday 3 September 2023

2023 August roundup. More tees and some learning.


Knitting
Teal Hermia summer cardigan. I have only enough yarn left for about 3 rib rows and I need 6-8. Three options involve lots of unpicking, curses, alternatively buy more yarn, probably online. 

Another blue baby hat finished, one more knitted from crown to rib. Trying a broken rib this time, but it's difficult for me to see to read the previous row. Would try the stitch pattern again knitted in the flat. 

Have had another request for legwarmers for a September birthday. Unlikely they'll be finished in time, but I have sorted out yarn, needles, and a plan (a combination of patterns) 

Sewing
Freya 2023 v5 from green French terry and blue floral leftovers. A can't spoil um project. It's just the right length and weight in this grey British summer, though a tad tight at the upper arm. The fabrics are ok together, the solid is a close match for the leaves. But the colour combination doesn't go with any of my trousers. Chosen often if I get changed once I get home. 

Freya 2023 v6 from duck print and white jersey leftovers. Not yet perfect, but definitely wearable in public. I still enjoy the duck print, so I'm glad it succeeded. 

Spent some time with scrap materials (from a damaged nightie) adapting the NS258 trousers to a simple skirt.  However, the intended wearable reclaimed fabric (from a black maxi skirt) was too narrow for any flare at all. And so near to the end of warm-ish weather, I decided not to make the pattern up in decent fabric this year. The flat pattern will feed the hip area of a woven top. 

Started fitting the woven top again. Remembering a long-ago comfy bodice, I dug out the Betty Foster master pattern. Any UK readers remember her from the seventies? It has narrower shoulders than 'usual' and a rounded shoulder alternative with the same 1.5" adjustment I need. So little change for me to the armscyes and above. Decades after I first tried this, I now have a better idea how to fit my high-hip area. So far, I've been playing with old damaged sheeting, and have a reasonable fit. Must remember I need more ease than standard at underarm, even if it looks loose when standing - I measured overbust when sitting and got a shock. Still to decide on initial style for neckline and cuffs, uncluttered for a busy chicken print poplin, compatible with some of my current warm layers, and ok to wear with scarves.  Then the plan is to merge the pattern with my intended Burda 8957 and make again in one of two plainer fabrics. 

Repairs and alterations
2023 fish scarf, added a button, less bulky than tying it. 
Added a lace modesty/sunburn panel for striped lawn overshirt.
Popped seams on green joggers and paisley stretch trousers. Ah, same place on both, so more thigh circumference another time. 
Popped seam on original duck print tee. Stress point at front armscoop. Again. 
Two pairs of new-to-me trousers shortened. 
Attempted refit of a new-to-me waistcoat abandoned, not enough fabric at high hip, so will stitch back on original lines and donate. 


Household repairs
Fixed damaged paintwork from leak in the winter and from maintenance work in winter/spring. Various small odd jobs, e.g. draught-proofing outer door, are finally off the list. 

Other sewing related
Wardrobe architect. I have reread this series, now on the Seamwork web site, and have redone the 2014 worksheets. Also looked at other planning capsule and SWAP resources, before summarising my preferences. An interesting exercise, which will inform future makes. 
Thinking about waistbands (after reading several articles about TDCO Top Down Centre Out trouser fitting). I've already used the idea of keeping a suitable band (reclaimed) for the skirt fitting, as well as putting some preference notes in my diary.
Experimented with horizontal seams in stretch fabrics, how to avoid overstretching. Partly I should 'let the feed dogs do the work', and partly the feed dogs can't work with too narrow seam allowances. I can use a more stable fabric direction on the underneath section, and if necessary use an additional stabiliser of some kind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment