Thursday 4 August 2022

2022 July - mostly measurements and patterns from them

When I finished the MeMadeMay roundup for the items tidied in July, I was surprised how many small improvements I'd made. The post is at Me Made May 2022 runs out of steam.

I also finally got my head - and my needles - around the horseshoe scarf which is finished. Typically I've completed it in England's warmest spell for umpteen years.

The main theme, though, was going through the measuring process again, and revising the fitting shells to the minimum I can move in. As a bonus, one of them turned out to be wearable. The starting point was the PatternMaker 7.0 fitting shell, but I've added a lot of personal tweaks.



Since I'd decided to reuse the aran yarn from the abandoned Talvi jumper, I fed the better measurements into a knit pattern generator.  The first one I found that seemed suitable was at knitAnything.com, which is definitely useable but interestingly is also actively under development. I tweaked the measurements to raise the neckline compared with the lime top, and to smooth the sideseams - without vertical darts, there's too much difference between waist and high hip to do a very fitted style.  I will say that the schematics were really useful to see what the interface expected from the measurements, as well as to spot input errors. For instance that the jumper ends at the hip. Also that at one attempt I hadn't changed the armscye height.  I'm a slow knitter, so it's way too early to say if the generated pattern is a success. So far, the sleeves seem good, and the hip area seems good. I'll find out when I try on the shoulders (hoping I don't forget my own personal tweaks to the armscyes, offset to the front by 1/4" each side, and compensate by increasing/decreasing near the shoulder line). It'll be known as the Finchdale jumper, the manufacturer's choice for a warm grey mixed with white. 
Cropped to fit at high hip. Need to knit a few more rounds below.
    

Repairs and alterations
  • Rtw coral floral knicks, purportedly a size 14,  Added sideseam gussets, in this case a 2.5" equilateral triangle which includes a selvedge edge. 
  • Replaced a lost trouser button for DH. 
  • Replaced, at last, two kitchen drawer handles to match the third (which broke earlier in the year, and was replaced with what's available now.). A tidier style and should be easier to keep clean than the ones we inherited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment