Wednesday 3 August 2022

Me Made May 2022 runs out of steam. In July.

We had some very hot days in July. Our town was just on the edge of the Saharan air currents that hung over England. Luckily our flat is a bit of a cave, and didn't get beyond the high twenties even on the worst day outside.

I was glad to wear my few short sleeved tops, thin trousers and dresses. I also retested a few things that have had alterations.

Happy with

  • 2015 ish Blue canvas trousers. Couldn't find a navy permanent marker to fix the bleach stains, however a black one has been good enough. Verdict: Keep.
  • 2021 03 Harvest mouse Hawaiian shirt, worn for a short walk to the cheese shop, before the sun got too strong. I still really like this loose breathable top - with an added mice print - and it still fits well. Love this but only useful when it's warm enough. Keep.
  • 2021 06 Distant descendant of VaVoom bra. This was in the possibly rescue-able bag, started in the hot two weeks last year. I stitched down the tuck that forms in the front band - it wants to be a curved band above flared ribs. Let out as much as I could, about 1/4",  where the back straps meet the cups. 3/8" would be even better. Elasticated the bottom of the backs (luckily, this cautious mouse did the first test-wear at home.)  Much comfier now, and no malfunctions. Verdict: Keep. Make more, but first check that the pattern changes are marked on the pieces.
  • 2022 04 Paisley Freya skirt. Worn on the warmest days. Restitched a couple of dodgy seams. Good length and hem width for public seating, for shopping and most housework.  Awkward length for kneeling down household tasks. Some static sparks, but breathed ok. Verdict: keep
  • 2022 04 TATB and SoZo short cami. In June, I modified the strap length. In July, I let out the back binding 1/4".  Both changes have worked well, Verdict: keep.

So-so 

  • 2019 bibi underskirt. The underskirt will never be a favourite, either for fabric or fit. It was originally a trial garment. It's fine for hot messy jobs (such as setting the steam dragon on the bathroom and kitchen) as it is easy to wash and dry. At 21" below the waistband, it's an awkward length for walking, but fine for kneeling and climbing. Verdict: keep.
  • 2020 Coral Rtw 3/4 sleeve top. Played with stitching a different shoulder slope. Feels better. Verdict: I've bought myself time with this garment, but this loose damask-y weave is wearing patchily. 

On the alterations pile

  • 2022 04 TATB and SoZo long cami. In June, I modified the strap length. In July, I let out the back binding 1/2", but haven't given it a full day test yet. 
  • 2021 tweedy jacket. Grabbed back from the donate pile. If I can reshape shoulders, it might lift enough to work. Verdict: pin to see if a rescue attempt is worthwhile. 
  • 2022 04 paisley SS8 trousers. A few attempts to get the elastic length right. The safety pin is now in the right place. The elastic just needs securing properly,  and the channel needs closing. 

Haven't worn

  • 1992 grey check dress. Too small but keep. 
  • 2020 03 blue grey wool silk trousers. The colour only goes with the white tees among my current good tops.  Verdict: keep, some fabrics in the queue for tee-shirts will go well with it.
  • 2022 gift of rtw silk waistcoat. Pinned underarm and shoulder blade darts. Make changes permanent, and think about what to partner it with.
What happens next?
  • Wardrobe planning. Together with an extra charity shop item, bought and altered in the first days of August, I have a plan for my summer activities. Wear the so-so items whenever appropriate, like using up the short-date foods in the fridge. Sewing priorities will be wardrobe gaps, then building a tested pattern collection. 
  • Winter wear is stored in a less accessible place, but has been roughly checked over. I have enough, though a few gaps in smart casual. I'll probably do a personal Me Made October.
  • Fitting and finished measurements. What I learned can feed into my knitting.  I abandoned the Talvi jumper (sweater) and have started another with the Hayfield Aran yarn, henceforth known as the Finchdale jumper, from the colour name.
  • UFO. The unfinished bag was intended for travel which isn't going to happen. It's not a priority.
  • Alterations. Think I've hit on a reversible way to improve the fit of two pairs of so-so Rtw trousers. Since I'm short of plains, they'll be high on the list. I also succumbed to a tee in a charity shop  -  swiss cheese plants for a Little Mouselet. It just needs shortening to low hip, and a shoulder dart putting in. Though with short sleeves, it will only get priority if we get more heat or just because I like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment