Wednesday 26 October 2022

Dark red chunky man's hat

I'd bought two balls of the Chunky dark red yarn for the Weasley cardi, but used almost one. Now DH, for a nice reason*, doesn't generally like me to knit for him. But I decided to do it anyway when I wanted a handbag sized project to come out with me for the day. This one is eight sections, top-down, 80 stitches, on size 6.0mm needles. 

*He worries about losing stuff that I've put a lot of hours into. 

And the stealth knitting? Since he's seen the yarn before, and has seen me doing all those newborn hats recently, I'd bet myself he wouldn't ask what it was. (He didn't) Particularly the first outing, when it wasn't much more volume than a baby item, I could sit next to him and it was concealed in plain sight. :) 



Not too much to say about a very plain hat. Other than I'd forgotten that 24", falls into that awkward gap. Just a bit too big for four 8" dpns. During the last few increases, just a bit too small for a 24" circular.

I've contrived this time, by adding a 6.5mm dpn to my set of four 6.0mm in that awkward section. Then switch to the short-cabled circular which is fine. It turned out to be a perfect project the next day, my eyes were really tired and the stand can literally be knit with eyes closed. 

After 9", changed to k1p1 rib  for 3", then Jeny's stretchy bind off (the one where you add a yo before each stitch then do a double decrease) Total 12", longer than my grey stripy hat which I usually wear brim folded up, but can fold down in the worst weather. I'm pleased with this, and can pull it out as a nice surprise for DH. 





Sent from my phone

No comments:

Post a Comment