Tuesday 11 October 2022

Mrs Mole's Fit-a-long: Recut and starting to reassemble

Cut the back out as hoped, and got the bodice together.

A couple of things. 

The gingham helped me correct the grain line in the back darts as I pinned (not sure yet whether it was a pattern error or a marking error).

My notes said lower the bust dart 1/8“. D'oh, it needed raising that much. Or three white stripes on the gingham, which is nearer 3/8".  (EDIT - wonder if I happened to be wearing the summer bra instead of the winter one when I took the last round of pictures.)


And a thinking error. Although I marked the back darts on whichever side  happened to face me, whilst the gingham is reversible, the tail hem isn't. Doesn't matter unless I can hide the inkstains and the tear well enough to wear this in public. Unlikely! 

So what next? Stay stitch the neckline and clip the seam allowance (or at least release the shoulder seam stitching) That might show whether the slope still needs work, either at the side of my neck or around that confounded padded strap. 

Raise that bust dart. D'oh. 

Put the sleeves in temporarily. I've found a garment can suddenly look much better - or more usually much worse - when combined with the weight of sleeves. I'm still wary of the armscye depth, although it's now reduced back to the original pattern's depth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment