Thursday 20 October 2022

Mrs Mole's Fit-a-long: try me for a day

Here's the latest. Not perfect, but finished enough to wear around the house for a day.

Two changes in plan since the last post. 

When the sleeves went in, I stole 3/8" from the seam allowances at the armpit, leaving only 1/4". For just a little more movement ease. 

And there wasn't enough fabric for neck facings, but I did get bias binding from the pieces at the old sleeve caps. Good enough for a trial. 


A few notes from a half hour wear. 

It's the front that's pieced for lack of fabric, so the side seams are actually pretty straight. 

I've decided that this sleeve length is better for me, since I rarely stand with arms at my sides. 

Can't move the pocket down without revealing one of the ink stains. Did I say this was salvaged fabric? But I would prefer it lower another time I reuse one of DH's cast-offs. 

The excess fabric below back waist on the later shots happens after I raise my arms and then lower them. Normal for me. Do I go for a slightly looser back hip/rump so the garment will fall back into position naturally? A more coordinated person would rearrange their clothing many times a day. However, that's not going to happen when I'm focused on the person in front of me.  I'm inclined to shorten the dart at left back, lower end, to give a little more clearance anyway. A smidge more at lower sideseams?
  
There are still drag lines where those padded straps sit on my shoulder. Though trying on with the summer bra there's still some distortion. I can see where the ball of my shoulder sticks forward, so perhaps I've been falsely accusing. I want to try adding a little more to the shoulder seams there, more on the left (higher but lumpier side) than the right. Maybe raise the right shoulder seam the tiniest bit more at the neckline - though the left might be stealing fabric from the right.

PS Got the kitchen tidied and a few housework tasks done after I wrote this post. No problem at all using sink, worktops, cupboards. Sitting drinking nightime cuppa also fine, no friction at front underarms.

No comments:

Post a Comment