Sunday 30 October 2022

Finchdale jumper, not a myth!

Lots of talk about this aran jumper (Finchdale is the manufacturer's name for the colour, a warm grey with creamy white highlights). No evidence that it exists - until now. Tada! 

Will you trust me that the sleeves are waiting quietly in a project bag, until I finish the bodice.

From a pattern generated to my measurements, tweaked to get the biggest girth at high hip, and with four short rows at yoke height to correspond with my woven pattern. There will be a 1" ribbed band to fill in the neckline. 

Hmmm. Although I'd reduced the planned 1" of 6 short rows after estimating the shoulder slope, it looks like I need the six after all. And while 60 sts on 6mm needles was good below the yoke, the top part is wider than I'd like. 4sts/6rows to an inch gives an idea how much. 

Options. 
1/Live with it - better than my last attempt.
2/Unpick down to start of the short rows. Take the chance to move the wedge closer to the neckline, and make it six deep. Then change back to 5.5mm needles to fit the outer shoulder area better.
3/Defer a decision till I've knitted the back as well - see how the shoulders hang when they have some support.
4/ Unpick back to the bust area and add more volume at the front. For this wearable trial, below the armscye, I went with the original pattern where front and back shaping is the same. Not unusual for hand knit or sewing patterns for knit fabrics, and I wanted to keep things simpler this time. 

Think I'll go with Option 3, doing a needle change above my shoulder blades . Fully expect to do Option 2 as well, given that garments  tend to hang more to the outside once the sleeves are joined on. Saving Option 4 for another time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment