Tuesday 25 October 2022

Weasley knitting. Baby cardi, plus practice woodland cardi

A cardigan to grow into, of unconventional design, by a knitter with more good wishes than professional skills. More importantly, made to welcome a new person into a lovely family I know. Do you think Molly Weasley would approve?

For this family, it had to be a cardi, not a jumper (sweater). Something quirky but not showy. Mum would quite like the Hogwarts colours, but nothing too obviously branded. They will have loads of presents in the tiny sizes. So, as I often do, I've made this in a 12 month size. It should fit next autumn - or as a light jacket next summer if he grows as quickly as his birthweight suggests. 



Baby has arrived safely, so I'm happy to reveal what was mostly made in September. His dad would approve good software practices, delaying the final touches till the 'last responsible moment'. I've just sewed the buttons on the correct side for a boy (there are buttonholes in both integrated bands). And using the reserved yarn, I've just extended the cuffs - baby has long bones like dad, not short and sturdy like mum.

I failed to source Aran weight in the right colours, but found Chunky. (Local readers, the shop in the Wayfarers Arcade has a small stock of yarn, but they are really helpful!) Not that I've ever seen a chunky pattern in so small a size. Never mind, let's adapt.

Rather than taking the preemie pattern I used last year up three chest sizes as well as six needle sizes (gulp), I had someone in mind who would like a woodland coloured cardi made from the Oh Baby pattern. On 4.5mm needles, for 12 month size, I could knit an odd ball from stash to the pattern. Then rescale it to chunky and have something to check the Weasley cardi against.

The colours are even nicer in real life. The proportions are like the schematic. The disappointment that it came out a size smaller than planned. Since I usually knit more loosely than a pattern suggests , it was a surprise until I twigged that the yarn (Stylecraft Vision) was baby Dk, not dk, and is lovely and fine and soft. I know I should swatch, but it's so tempting to just go ahead if the item is small. (This 9 month size will be donated. Sorry, one year old S.) 

After swatching the Weasley cardi (hmmm) I used a 2:3 ratio to resize. And worked out the golden stripe placement, well, not quite on the fly, but to keep the colour changes as smooth as I could.

I haven't presented it to the parents yet. They're still at the frantic frequently feeding stage. But I hope they will smile when they open the package. And enjoy seeing Baby E wearing this when he's big enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment